Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake...Delicious!!!

Yesterday, I made this easy and delicious dessert...only a few ingredients and a 9x13 pan and you're done!  It's a new recipe that I tried and it's a keeper!  So today, I'm sharing the recipe!

Eating ice cream sandwiches takes me back to when I was a little girl in Florida and spent time with my grandparents during the day in the summertime while my parents were at work.  Sometimes it seems like so long ago.  I remember, at a certain time in the afternoon, it was time to listen for the ice cream man.  You could hear him on the next block over and that's when you got ready to run to the end of the driveway to wait to pick out your sweet treat...usually an ice cream sandwich or Drumstick for me and Mema!  It wasn't an everyday thing, just a special treat every now and then.  Sometimes Papa would get a box of them at the store and it was the highlight of the day to go to the freezer and get one out to eat!  Those hot days were perfect for ice cream!  Mema would laugh at me when I'd stand in front of the refrigerator or freezer door with it open trying to cool off!  LOL!  Anyways, back to the ice cream sandwiches, this recipe is extra good because it has a layer of Oreos on top of the cool whip!  Some recipes call for crushed candy bars, but I was wanting to try it with Oreos since they are a favorite around our house!

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

24 ice cream sandwiches
16 oz. cool whip
12 oz. jar hot fudge topping
2/3 package Oreos (crushed...I put mine in a ziplock bag and crushed them)

In a 9x13 pan, lay first layer of 12 ice cream sandwiches.  Then a layer of cool whip.  Then half of the crushed Oreos.  Then drizzle half of the hot fudge topping (you may have to soften it in the microwave for a few seconds).

First layer of ice cream sandwiches

Second layer

Finished product

Repeat again, with the other 12 ice cream sandwiches, cool whip, oreos, and hot fudge topping and stick it in the freezer for as long as you can stand it before you taste it!!!  LOL!

Keep frozen.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, that looks so good and rich! I am not supposed to have caffeine, so I guess I will have to stick to the pineapple sandwiches. I remember my mother used to fix a dessert with oreos and cool whip that was so good. Thanks for visiting my blog today. Blessings ~

Becky said...

I also liked ice cream sandwiches and Drumsticks as a child. The Duggars have an ice cream sandwich cake recipe on their website that is good. Your dessert looks like a chocolate lovers dream! Our pastor's wife recently made a ice cream dessert for one of our potlucks. She used Oreo cookies for the crust, put vanilla ice cream on top and then a layer of chocolate. I had a small piece, it was sinfully delicious. :-)

Sharon said...

This is such a delicious treat you made!! Hard for me to keep out of the freezer. It keeps calling out to me...LOL!!